1875 was the year when historic Architect George B. Post opened the doors of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank, after five years working non-stop on the creation of this Beaux Arts building with its High Gothic Victorian interior design by Architect and Artist Peter B. Wight. Both artists collaborated to create an unprecedented style, which resulted in one magnificent piece of art: the great dome building now under the name of Weylin, which still guards the entrance to Brooklyn at the southern leg of the East River.
One would naturally think the building was absolutely innovative in the light of its time, and that due to its overall complexity it should have been difficult to materialize such a construction more than a century ago. The truth is that although it was one of the main Brooklyn-side founders –and there’s no doubt about that– it was actually in line with its time in terms of the materials employed in all areas: wood, mosaic, iron, glass; you name it.
But the strong crafts and work force which had made the building an avant-garde piece of art and architecture slowly kept on sliding it back to the rear guard with the passing of time. This is why during our extremely thorough and award-winning restoration, which entailed the huge challenge of working with an 1800’s mind set, we needed re-create resources such as custom iron and wood workshops, which were not exactly at our elbow as back in the day.
By reviving its original crafts and force, the former Williamsburgh Savings Bank became WEYLIN, turning its timeline around 180º. Again leading an avant-garde position as a masterpiece within its own and new cultural environment, Weylin once more influenced and boosted the growth of Williamsburgh just like in 1875.
We are proud of keeping history alive and rewarding this beautiful city, which has given so much to countless generations.
Cheers to all!
The Weylin Team